Friday, September 16, 2011

I don't have a kidney infection? I'm pregnant? WHAT?!

I went to the doctor on Sunday to see if I had a kidney infection since my lower back was in pain and my bladder hurt when I had to pee. We waited for about two hours just to see a doctor at urgent care, I took a pee test and she told me that I did have a kidney infection and prescribed me three days worth of anitbiodics. On Tuesday, I was still in pain and the lab called to tell me that they didn't find anything wrong with my pee. Apparently, I didn't actually have a kidney infection but they told me to come back in a day or two if I was still experiencing pain. Well, needless to say, the next day I was... and just for the heck of it (since my period was a couple days late) I decided to take a pregnancy test. It was positive. I went straight to CVS and bought a different kind of test and an hour later, took that one. It was positive also. Oh great! This was not what I had planned...


I went straight to the urgent care and Ben met me there. The doctor told us that you are more likely to get a false negative than a false positive. He then asked if I wanted to do the pee test or blood test. If you know me at all, I am always looking for ways to get out of having any kind of needle near me and since he told me that pee test is pretty much as accurate as the blood test, I went ahead and did a pee test. It was positive.


First reaction? FML... then oh crap how do we afford this? what about Scotland for Grad School? Are we ready to be parents? Should we put it up for adoption? Would we make good parents? 


After a few hours and now a couple days, it's finally starting to sink in. I think, for the most part, we've ruled out adoption since we had planned on getting married and having kids anyway and it wouldn't make sense to give the child away. I'm slowly starting to get more and more excited. I went out and bought a pregnancy journal and a book about saving money during pregnancy/first year. Ben and I have a lot of love to give and who cares if we aren't married? We had planned on it and we still will one day but we are going to take things as they come, one thing at a time... and this is the first... baby #1... So here's to nine months of waiting for either little Jude Levi or little Sofia Elizabeth (or whatever name we decide on by then)... 


I'll go to the OBGYN in the next couple weeks and hopefully find out the due date. I don't plan on finding out the sex until it's born although Ben says he wants to know before. I just always wanted to find out the day of for my first. Keeps it fun.


Well, I really have to pee so I'm done with this first entry.


I hope you enjoy keeping up with my crazy journey to come! I'm so scared/excited!


-Katie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment